- Eyes are considered one of the most important features in the face. As we get older, the eyelids are frequently the first to show the signs of aging. The skin and muscles around the eyes lose elasticity and strength resulting in saggy and wrinkled skin and eye bags that give you tired or sad looking eyes, adding years to the face. This becomes very apparent as the eyes are the first thing we notice in a person’s face.
- These changes are often progressive, initially noticed only early in the morning, but then gradually becoming more severe, with puffiness persisting throughout the day.
- This may be in some cases inherited and appear prematurely very early in life.
TYPES OF BLEPHAROPLASTY (EYELID SURGERY):
There are different types of BLEPHAROPLASTY that can be offered specific to your individual needs. These include:
- This is primarily a cosmetic procedure that surgically removes excess fat, muscle and skin from the upper and lower eyelids, restoring the youthful appearance of the eyes and increasing overall self-confidence.
- The final result of an eye lift is a rested and more attractive appearance with a noticeable reduction in excess skin and bags around the eye.
- Blepharoplasty can also improve eyesight where vision has been impaired by hooded or drooping upper eyelids due to severe skin laxity above the eye.
- Upper Blepharoplasty in these cases removes this excess skin and allows these patients to see without obstruction in their visual field.
- Most eyelid surgery can be done with local anesthetic and sedation.
CHANGING THE SHAPE OF THE EYE:
- With Blepharoplasty you can also change and improve the shape of your eyes.
- As we age the ligaments supporting the lateral corner of the eye and lower lid loose strength, often resulting in a rounded, tired and aged appearance of the eyes. Many consider an “almond shaped eye” more attractive, youthful and cheerful appearance.
- This is a more complex procedure and while the changes are not drastic, the aim is to improve cosmesis and yet ensure natural looking eyes, balanced with the other aspects of your face.
BENEFITS OF EYELID SURGERY
- Smoother and toned skin around the eyes
- Reduction in lines and wrinkles
- Removal of eye bags and puffiness
- More youthful and healthier appearance